At Code of Support Foundation, we offer tremendous opportunities to build and develop a career in the nonprofit sector, grow our organization, and ensure that our service members, veterans and their families get the help they need and deserve.
Job Title: Software Engineer
Supervisor: Program Director
FLSA Status: FT Exempt
Prepared Date: 09/03/2018
Develops PATRIOTlink by designing, developing, and installing software solutions for the PATRIOTlink platform. This role will report to the Program Director and act as a liaison to any technical contractors by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Determines operational feasibility by conducting analysis, problem definition, requirements gathering, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing supporting documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Work under general supervision with latitude for independent judgment with a high level proficiency
- Other duties may be assigned
- Belief in the mission and core values of the Foundation and a familiarity with veterans and military family issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; effective research skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Gmail applications
- Qualifications to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Technology Experience (Required)
- Experience deploying and managing various development stacks
- Experience with CI/CD best practices
- Experience programming using an MVC framework Laravel preferred but not required
- Experience using version control software (GIT)
- Experience programming in a team environment
- Experience programming on a team using Agile methodology
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (e.g. Amazon Web Services) including EC2, CodeCommit, IAM, RDS, ELB, Cloudwatch and S3
- Familiar with Linux system administration including the configuration of services
- Familiar with Jenkins (or similar CI/CD tools) for CI/CD
- Familiar with PostgreSQL (or Amazon Aurora) from a general use and configuration perspective
- Familiar with basic networking protocols and services including TCP/IP, DNS, SSH, Apache/Ngnix and firewalls
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS or related field or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience of direct support for the administration of software applications and/or Linux systems
Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively articulate the foundation's mission and the mission of the software platform over the phone
Basic computer Skills
Effective research skills; to perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software and Spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Products
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.